It began as the GODFATHER OF MATH, evolved into the GOODFATHER OF MATH. Now this. Go figure...

______________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
The kind of humor I like is the thing that makes me laugh for five seconds and think for ten minutes = G. CARLIN...Stain glass, engraved glass, frosted glass
–give me plain glass = JOHN FOWLES ... Music is the mathematics of the gods=PYTHAGORAS ... Nothing is more fluid than language = R. L. SWIHART
I cannot live without the oxygen of laughter = DAWN POWELL ... !!! ... But laughter cannot survive without the hydrogen of gravitas = PAUL OLIVERIO
______________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Sunday, June 17, 2018

Teacher Said ... Mother Said ... June 17, 1984 ... Columbus, Ohio

________________________________________________________________________________________________

"Hello."

"Am I speaking with the mother
  of Lois Murphy?"

"Yes you are."

"I am Mrs. Schinn, her ceramics teacher."

"And I am Clara Murphy, her mother."

"I am calling because your daughter
 was absent from school
 for the entire week."

"That's not quite true, Mrs. Schinn."

"Yes it is true: I can show you my rollbook,
  Mrs. Murphy."

"Please call me Clara or Murphy, Mrs. Schinn."


"Whatever. I repeat: You're daughter has been
  absent from school for the entire week."

"My daughter was not absent from school.
  She was only absent from your class,
  Mrs. Schinn, with the approval
  of the Principal of Sherman Powell 
  Junior High School."

"That is nonsense. The Principal 
  would have said something
  to me about it."

"Ms. Seamster decided not to tell you
  because of your special project.
  The Principal did not want to disrupt
  your annual Salute to Father's Day.
  
"Less than two weeks ago, 
  Lois' father commit suicide   
  in a Cleveland hotel room
  and we were able to keep it secret
  from everyone in her school
  except the Principal."

"If that's true then please
  accept my sincere apology,
  Mrs. Murphy."

"Well, I wish it weren't true,
  Mrs. Schinn and I also 
  sincerely wish I could
  accept your apology."
  
  ***
  ***
  
________________________________________________________________________________________________
Footnote
TEACHER SAID ... MOTHER SAID ...
is the copyrighted property of LCSoL.
________________________________________________________________________________________________


No comments:

Post a Comment