It began as the GODFATHER OF MATH, evolved into the GOODFATHER OF MATH. Now this. Go figure...

______________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
The kind of humor I like is the thing that makes me laugh for five seconds and think for ten minutes = G. CARLIN...Stain glass, engraved glass, frosted glass
–give me plain glass = JOHN FOWLES ... Music is the mathematics of the gods=PYTHAGORAS ... Nothing is more fluid than language = R. L. SWIHART
I cannot live without the oxygen of laughter = DAWN POWELL ... !!! ... But laughter cannot survive without the hydrogen of gravitas = PAUL OLIVERIO
______________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Friday, June 5, 2015

Quoting Flaubert (The Book Of Gus #6)

________________________________________________________________________________________________

I am only a literary lizard basking the day away 
beneath the great sun of Beauty. 

If I were a woman, I wouldn’t want myself for a lover. 
A one-night stand, yes; but an intimate relationship, no.

I laugh at everything, even at that which I love the most. 


There is no fact, thing, feeling or person over which 
I have not blithely run down my clownishness, 
like an iron roller imparting sheen to cloth.

The day I stop being indignant, I shall fall flat on my face.

There are moments when I am so tired 
that I’m liquefying like an old Camembert.

This bird is not a parrot









All of the quotes 
from  Gustave Flaubert 
appear in  Flaubert's Parrot,
a Julian Barnes novel.

The next Flaubert page is  here.

________________________________________________________________________________________________


6 comments:

  1. A parakeet with a good sense of humor

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If a parrot had posed
      in front of the book,
      you wouldn't have
      been able to see
      the book

      Delete
  2. The book would be opened since the parrot
    would be reading from it. As would the parakeet,
    but alas, it is way too towering to be easily
    handled by lilliputian literary avian.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You're right.
    Flaubert's Parrot–the novel–
    towers easily above almost
    all other modern novels.

    I can't wait to read another Barnes novel
    but first I will be reading Flaubert's
    "unfinished" novel: Bouvard and Pecuchet.

    ReplyDelete
  4. If French dust is one-tenth
    as good as French toast,
    fill my plate!

    ReplyDelete