It began as the GODFATHER OF MATH, evolved into the GOODFATHER OF MATH. Now this. Go figure...

______________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
The kind of humor I like is the thing that makes me laugh for five seconds and think for ten minutes = G. CARLIN...Stain glass, engraved glass, frosted glass
–give me plain glass = JOHN FOWLES ... Music is the mathematics of the gods=PYTHAGORAS ... Nothing is more fluid than language = R. L. SWIHART
I cannot live without the oxygen of laughter = DAWN POWELL ... !!! ... But laughter cannot survive without the hydrogen of gravitas = PAUL OLIVERIO
______________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Monday, July 27, 2015

Another 2.0 CarPeo Letter

________________________________________________________________________________________________


Sam Oliverio
≈ 1932


Dear Dad

Please thank Grace and Eleanor
for their role as guardian angels:

Were I to have left Long Beach
as originally intended, my car 
might have been the automobile
featured in the Joshua Tree
freeway collapse.

 


As it was, I traveled on 
that stretch of Interstate 10
at approximately 3AM 
on the morning 
of July 19:

Three hours in advance 
of the collapse.


All I saw of Joshua Tree National Park was as pitch black 
as everything else in the desert. At 3AM, the surface 
of the I-10 was solid asphalt and problem-free. 

It was not a matter of luck. 

It was a matter of the two most important women 
in the 2.0 CarPeo Galaxy assuring that 
I completed the cross-country drive
without any disastrous event.

But this letter is addressed 
to the most important man 
in that Galaxy: YOU 

Little did I know that your influence would be withheld
until I passed into the Eastern Standard time zone.

It would have been 
a dreamy experience 
were I to encounter
a roadside image 
such as this



It would have meant
my primary source
of driving energy
was immediately
and conveniently
available.

During their operating hours,
of course.

It also would have meant that Starbucks 
was using a copyrighted photograph 
I took in 2008.

But in 2015, after driving pure Interstate roads
through ten states, I saw more signage for 
Pawn Shops than for Starbucks.

Most of the Pawn Shop signs, lurked high above
Interstate 40 in  Amarillo, Texas.

My primary caffeine source through the first ten states
was McDonalds Senior Coffee, never costing more than 
eighty eight cents with a free refill.

After driving through  Oklahoma City  which was 
vaguely pretty (compared to the rest of the state),
I ventured north through Missouri to segue 
onto Interstate 70. 

This was an alternative to driving to Virginia:

Instead of visiting my sister, I got to spend
a god-awfully happy night in Maryland 
with a pair of nieces.

That is, I was with two of your grand-daughters plus 
your new-born Great-Grandson, who was responsible 
for the most-glowing smile ever directed at me.
Carol(a/k/a, Mrs.CarPeo) notwithstanding.

En route to  Maryland  on I-70, I drove through
a portion of  Pennsylvania  at noon time 
without intention of stopping anywhere. 

However, an exit sign read  Belle Vernon.


It was immediately followed by
the first traditional STARBUCKS
sign I saw since the first interstate road I traveled 
upon 2800 miles ago 
in Long Beach, 
California.







Slightly more than 99 years ago, 
YOU were born in Belle Vernon.

Of course, I stopped there!

Despite that hamlet being developed
into an industrial park, I felt your presence
everywhere, especially when I saw pretty young ladies. 

I could not help but think how you might have known 
their grandparents but I said not a word 
to any of the ladies.

I had much to say to Carol, telephoning her 
from the STARBUCKS patio, while slowing
sipping my Vente Bold java.

I believe it was our 99th phone conversation
of the journey. 

She loves it when she can hear me cry
over the phone.

This happened on Thursday, July 23, 2015.
It is now Monday, July 28.  

I have had sips of that sacred cup of Vente
in four different states on five different days...

including in the sterling 
presence of your (and Grace's)
grandchildren.

But that cup of coffee tasted best
in the presence of Carol.

It is as if that paper cup,
purchased in the town 
where YOU were born
in 1916 could say,
in 2015:

Mr. Demille, 
I am ready for my close-up


Sincerely and Everlovingly,
Your son, 

Paul Oliverio
Katonah, NY
1:43PM     
________________________________________________________________________________________________


2 comments:

  1. Shouldn't you have done some doctoring
    on the photograph of your father?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I prefer the photograph
      with its creases and imperfections.

      That image of my Father
      is too sacred to manipulate.

      There are equally untouchable imperfections
      in My Personal Mt. Rushmore,
      the photograph introducing
      the WALL-2-WALL gallery.

      Delete