It began as the GODFATHER OF MATH, evolved into the GOODFATHER OF MATH. Now this. Go figure...

______________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
The kind of humor I like is the thing that makes me laugh for five seconds and think for ten minutes = G. CARLIN...Stain glass, engraved glass, frosted glass
–give me plain glass = JOHN FOWLES ... Music is the mathematics of the gods=PYTHAGORAS ... Nothing is more fluid than language = R. L. SWIHART
I cannot live without the oxygen of laughter = DAWN POWELL ... !!! ... But laughter cannot survive without the hydrogen of gravitas = PAUL OLIVERIO
______________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Monday, November 9, 2015

I Don't Feel Bad About Whiting HIM Out

________________________________________________________________________________________________


If there was a picture of her, 
I would not have whited out 
him but this is not about
Sam and Grace Oliverio.

It is a collage of their off-
spring: Linda, Paul and Judith.

The one who appears the oldest
(and the most mysterious)
is actually the opposite.

The infant in the two left-side photographs
is beaming with pride and joy because
at the time those pictures were taken
Sam and Grace had only one child.


That year was 1948.

I was born the following year and the picture of me 
on the beach was taken in 1968.

As for my younger sister: her family had a summer rental
on the coast of North Carolina. 

I believe the year was 1990.

She was born in 1955.

That Judith is alive and well is no mystery.

We talked last week and, in July, I had visited 
two of her daughters in Baltimore.

Two daughters and Judith's brand new grandson!

Were our older sister still alive, Linda's six-month old 
grand-nephew would already know his times table.

I know that to be true because Linda taught me*
the times table before I was old enough to crawl.

Not only is Judith's grandson crawling, 
he already knows how to dance
but only when Chubby Checker
is singing  The Twist.

As for the great-grandparents he never knew,
here is a picture of them, albeit undated:

Sam and Grace Oliverio
When their total age
was less than my current age! 


* In 1951, 
this is how Linda
spoonfed a toddler
the 20-times table:
"Twin-T, 4-T, 6-T, 8-T"

Whimsically, Linda Oliverio
shares  her next page 
with Franz Kafka.  
  ________________________________________________________________________________________________


2 comments:

  1. Au Contraire
    It was mighty humble to have blackened my eyes,
    darken most of my body and appear
    to be seated on a gravel strip.

    I was actually twenty feet above the high tide,
    purposely seated on a pebble bed and reading
    a Sartre (or Camus) book.

    That the collage image whited out
    the deadly handsome face
    of my father was not
    the photographer's
    intention...

    But the text of the page worked around
    the mistake of the flash:

    I created a "family" page of deeply personal significance
    without an emphasis on my parents.

    ReplyDelete