It began as the GODFATHER OF MATH, evolved into the GOODFATHER OF MATH. Now this. Go figure...

______________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
The kind of humor I like is the thing that makes me laugh for five seconds and think for ten minutes = G. CARLIN...Stain glass, engraved glass, frosted glass
–give me plain glass = JOHN FOWLES ... Music is the mathematics of the gods=PYTHAGORAS ... Nothing is more fluid than language = R. L. SWIHART
I cannot live without the oxygen of laughter = DAWN POWELL ... !!! ... But laughter cannot survive without the hydrogen of gravitas = PAUL OLIVERIO
______________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Friday, October 30, 2015

The Private Joke Of A Sudoku-holic Word Model

________________________________________________________________________________________________



I had to laugh but not because I had finished 
eighteen puzzles in eighteen hours.
I laughed because of the advert.

Recently, a young man in a coffee house showed me
the language program he bought because
he was going to Paris.

It is you! 
he exclaimed.

Beneath an image of a man 
reading a newspaper
were the phrases:

The man is reading a newspaper.
L'homme est en train de lire un journal. 
      
The model for this language lesson
was, in fact, me!

The photograph was taken in 2006
when I lived in the same Virginia city
where Rosetta Stone was headquartered.


My coffeehouse acquaintance told me
that I appeared in two other bilingual images
but I saw only that one.

He promised to send me those images
 but never did.

Had he done so, I would present them here.

So I did the next best thing.

I called Rosetta and asked for copies
of my modelling images.

Of course, they said no,
unless I gave them $179.

Of course, I asked for extra compensation
for my image being marketed nine years
after the photo shoot.

Naturally, they said no.

They would not be the most successful
language company in the world
had they said otherwise.

I had signed a contract with them
and that contract is presented below.

In the nine months since I contacted Rosetta,
 they have sent me fifty emails and countless drop ads 
offering to sell me their products.

Fairfield is Rosetta's corporate name
________________________________________________________________________________________________


No comments:

Post a Comment