It began as the GODFATHER OF MATH, evolved into the GOODFATHER OF MATH. Now this. Go figure...

______________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
The kind of humor I like is the thing that makes me laugh for five seconds and think for ten minutes = G. CARLIN...Stain glass, engraved glass, frosted glass
–give me plain glass = JOHN FOWLES ... Music is the mathematics of the gods=PYTHAGORAS ... Nothing is more fluid than language = R. L. SWIHART
I cannot live without the oxygen of laughter = DAWN POWELL ... !!! ... But laughter cannot survive without the hydrogen of gravitas = PAUL OLIVERIO
______________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Sunday, January 27, 2019

Love Poem Hand Delivered To Zelda But Not From Her Husband

________________________________________________________________________________________________


Zelda, fair queen of Alabam’
Across the waves I kiss you!
You think I am a stone, a clam;
You think that I don’t give a damn,
But God! how I will miss you!
My heart goes with you as you sail.
God grant you won’t be seasick!
The thought of you abaft the rail,
Diffusing meat and ginger ale,
Makes both my wife and me sick.


***
***

(1924)



________________________________________________________________________________________________
Footnotes
Ring Lardner was Scott Fitzgerald's life long
drinking buddy and in no way was their relationship
hindered by this poem

Scott wrote  an elegy entitled RING
when Lardner died in 1933

Ellis Lardner was Ring's wife
and she approved of her husband's
fascination with Zelda Fitzgerald

The steamer trunks pictured here
are from the Fitzgerald's return from Paris

The next GoFather/Fitzgerald page is  here 
________________________________________________________________________________________________

No comments:

Post a Comment