It began as the GODFATHER OF MATH, evolved into the GOODFATHER OF MATH. Now this. Go figure...

______________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
The kind of humor I like is the thing that makes me laugh for five seconds and think for ten minutes = G. CARLIN...Stain glass, engraved glass, frosted glass
–give me plain glass = JOHN FOWLES ... Music is the mathematics of the gods=PYTHAGORAS ... Nothing is more fluid than language = R. L. SWIHART
I cannot live without the oxygen of laughter = DAWN POWELL ... !!! ... But laughter cannot survive without the hydrogen of gravitas = PAUL OLIVERIO
______________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Tuesday, February 23, 2021

Question + Answer About The Published Word

_______________________________________________________________________________________________
 
Question:
Should every author
include a glossary?


Answer:
NO
Every reader should be equipped
with a good vocabulary
and a dictionary.
 
If that means
having to read
the book twice,
that doubles the chances 
of understanding
the author 
 
_______________________________________________________________________________________________

5 comments:

  1. Are you saying that an author
    should never include a glossary?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for waiting five days
      before asking this question

      I would have had a different response
      were your implication stated
      on the day of the original post,
      despite its ornery phrase "every author."


      Yesterday, I started reading
      a historical novel by Lindsey Davis,
      whom I discovered from her serious research
      about the Pythagorean Society.

      Her mystery novels are set in ancient Rome
      and it is prefaced with a glossary
      that IS essential for me to appreciate
      the setting and the characters of
      her "mystery novel" featuring
      the Emperor's informer,
      MARCUS DIDIUS FALCO.

      I have already posted a quote
      from See Delphi and Die
      and there will be more...

      I have always had a fondness
      for novelists who write convincingly
      in first person from the opposite gender

      Delete
    2. How would your response have been different
      if my first comment was posted earlier?

      Delete
  2. I believe a glossary
    is a presumptuous thing to include
    in a book so I created a page
    that is more profound than accurate
    and I am presently enjoying a novel
    that proves how inaccurate I was.

    Another thing is that Ms. Davis
    has her glossary in front of the story
    rather than after it is told or
    —worse yet—in footnote form
    on the bottom of every other page

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Meaning that the glossary
      of this novel reads like
      an essential preface
      or introductory chapter

      Delete