It began as the GODFATHER OF MATH, evolved into the GOODFATHER OF MATH. Now this. Go figure...

______________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
The kind of humor I like is the thing that makes me laugh for five seconds and think for ten minutes = G. CARLIN...Stain glass, engraved glass, frosted glass
–give me plain glass = JOHN FOWLES ... Music is the mathematics of the gods=PYTHAGORAS ... Nothing is more fluid than language = R. L. SWIHART
I cannot live without the oxygen of laughter = DAWN POWELL ... !!! ... But laughter cannot survive without the hydrogen of gravitas = PAUL OLIVERIO
______________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Thursday, July 13, 2023

Peter Iacangelo + Mort Mecloskey ... Rest In Peace ... Page 1

________________________________________________________________________________________________

I met both
Peter and Mort
in 1968
at
 
Both of them became
life-long friends
 
Peter died in 2021
Mort died in 2022
 
Peter was my literary editor,
partner in poetry,
a successful Hollywood actor
and
—had time allowed—
would have been
my chess partner
 
His tribute will be
Page 2
of this tandem
 
This page is a tribute
to the man I first knew as
"Professor Mecloskey"
 
He was my teacher
during my second college semester
 and he hired me
to run a tutoring program
on campus

He was the reason
I was one of
a very select group of students
who couldsit
in the faculty dining room
without arousing suspicion
or condescension
 
He had the rarest of gifts
for a math professor:
a genuine sense of humor
incorporated into
his lectures
 
All but the first of five semesters
at the Community College,
Mecloskey was either
my professor
or someone I visited
frequently
 
My ninth semester
as an under-graduate,
I was a student-teacher
and Mecloskey
was my advisor
 
when the Los Angeles Times
featured me
as 
"The Godfather of Math,"
I mailed a copy of the article
to Mort Mecloskey,
thanking him for all
his wit, wisdom,
and inspiration
 
He telephoned me and asked
if I would be in New York
anytime soon
 
The answer was YES
and I appeared
as a guest on Mecloskey's
radio show on 
 
I appeared on his radio show
a second time when
the LA Times featured
the PythagoRap
 
He was partial to a t-shirt slogan:
I'd rather be fly-fishing
and he appreciated my observation
about the invisible slogan
on the backside
of the t-shirt:
I am fly-fishing 
 
Mecloskey and I had
numerous phone conversations
over the next two decades
because he was generous enough
to give me his home #
 
Always there was laughter
related to some algebraic
or geometric concept
 
However,
as time passed beyond 2016,
I was reluctant to telephone him
because I feared his decease.
 
I did not confirm his death
until eight months ago
when the current station managed
at WUSB informed me
of Professor Mecloskey's passing
 
***
 
I find it somehow appropriate that
Mort died at the age of ninety
because he certainly had
the right angle on things
mathematical and philosophical
but 
I do recall his once asking me
"Why are there no left angles?"  
________________________________________________________________________________________________

No comments:

Post a Comment