It began as the GODFATHER OF MATH, evolved into the GOODFATHER OF MATH. Now this. Go figure...

______________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
The kind of humor I like is the thing that makes me laugh for five seconds and think for ten minutes = G. CARLIN...Stain glass, engraved glass, frosted glass
–give me plain glass = JOHN FOWLES ... Music is the mathematics of the gods=PYTHAGORAS ... Nothing is more fluid than language = R. L. SWIHART
I cannot live without the oxygen of laughter = DAWN POWELL ... !!! ... But laughter cannot survive without the hydrogen of gravitas = PAUL OLIVERIO
______________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Wednesday, May 8, 2024

The Reverend + The Saint ... UNDER CONSTRUCTION

________________________________________________________________________________________________



 CHRISTOPHER LLOYD
famously portrayed "Reverend Jim"
on "Taxi,"
one of the greatest sitcoms
in the history of television
 
 
 
The gentlemen in the other image
looks like Christopher Lloyd's twin.
This would "fictionally" make him
a "reverend."
 
 
But I prefer the facts:
TOM QUAID is the reason
I've attended Mass at St. Anthony's
years before Mrs. CarPeo moved here
and made church-going mandatory.
*******************************

 

Most people go to the church of their choice 

intent upon  giving a donation 

for the the well-being

of that house of worship.

 

I started attending Mass in Long Beach

for the opposite reason.

 

But first I must note that Tom 

was my assistant  when I volunteered

to  be the librarian at a senior center.

He saw first-hand how seriously I took the job

[and the frequent breaks to step outside

as every cigaret addict needs to do].

I want to believe that he believed

my volunteerism was worthy

of some form of remuneration.

 

The first time I attended Saturday night vigil

at St. Anthony's, Tom asked how I was doing

and I told him I had the sniffles.

He reached into his pocket

and handed me a ten dollar bill.

Exactly one week later,

all I said to Tom was "Hello"

and another ten dollar bill 

was given me.  

This continued for three years 

during which I learned that there was nothing unique

about Tom's Saturday Night donation to Paul Oliverio.

 

As many as a dozen people were regularly

on the receiving end of his generosity

and Tom QUAID became known as Tom WAD

because he always had a fat wad of cash in his pocket.

*******************************

 

Naturally, there is danger in Long Beach

when you walk around with a lot of cash 

in your possession BUT... 

three different "gangster/chollo" 

types emphatically told me

that Tom Quaid had more protection 

from harm than anyone else 

in this supersized city.

 

I will repeat what I have said 

many times before

—and dozens of people 

of every religion,  race,

and age group agreed—

"Never before and never again will I meet anyone

with more saintly qualities than...Tom Quaid"


By mutual agreement, 

we hereby anoint him...

Saint Thomas Quaid

________________________________________________________________________________________________

No comments:

Post a Comment