It began as the GODFATHER OF MATH, evolved into the GOODFATHER OF MATH. Now this. Go figure...

______________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
The kind of humor I like is the thing that makes me laugh for five seconds and think for ten minutes = G. CARLIN...Stain glass, engraved glass, frosted glass
–give me plain glass = JOHN FOWLES ... Music is the mathematics of the gods=PYTHAGORAS ... Nothing is more fluid than language = R. L. SWIHART
I cannot live without the oxygen of laughter = DAWN POWELL ... !!! ... But laughter cannot survive without the hydrogen of gravitas = PAUL OLIVERIO
______________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Thursday, May 23, 2024

The Immeasurable Respect Of This Inquiring Mind

________________________________________________________________________________________________

Despite periodic episodes
of excessive enthusiam
with their nightsticks
in the vicinity
of iPhones,
my respect 
for law enforcement
has no boundaries

In four different states
across the nation,
some officers know me as
Bookie or Bookman
because I am rarely seen
in public without
a book to read

For me,
there is no end to
reading novels
related to crime
and its' aftermath

Some officers know me as
Blabby
because my mouth
runneth over
unless circumstances
demand otherwise

I could bore you to death
with a list of authors
mastering the art of
Crime Fiction
so I'll keep the list short
and wish you a Happy Google:

Wambaugh, Grafton, Hammett,
Trevanian, Chandler
...
...
But the curious reader of
such fiction naturally
asks:

Which author is most preferred
by professional crime stoppers?
 
 
Today
a Long Beach police officer
gave me what is probably
the most common answer
police of any city or town
would give:

NONE YOU COULD NAME
BECAUSE READING
THEIR BOOKS WOULD BE
LIKE TAKING MY WORK
HOME WITH ME
WHEN I NEED TO DO
THE EXACT OPPOSITE

Surely that is not 
a literary answer
but 
undoubtedly
it is the most accurate
answer
👮👮👮
________________________________________________________________________________________________

No comments:

Post a Comment