It began as the GODFATHER OF MATH, evolved into the GOODFATHER OF MATH. Now this. Go figure...

______________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
The kind of humor I like is the thing that makes me laugh for five seconds and think for ten minutes = G. CARLIN...Stain glass, engraved glass, frosted glass
–give me plain glass = JOHN FOWLES ... Music is the mathematics of the gods=PYTHAGORAS ... Nothing is more fluid than language = R. L. SWIHART
I cannot live without the oxygen of laughter = DAWN POWELL ... !!! ... But laughter cannot survive without the hydrogen of gravitas = PAUL OLIVERIO
______________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Saturday, June 22, 2024

Page SIX Of Six ... The Girl Who Cried At First Base

________________________________________________________________________________________________


In celebration of
my 7th birthday,
my father was taking me
to a baseball game 
at Yankee Stadium

I was wearing 
a perfectly sized
Mickey Mantle uniform,
despite my "hating"
the team
he played for
 
 My father 
 was  a firm believer 
in getting to a destination early,
especially if it involved
driving in the Bronx
!!!
 
We arrived at Yankee Stadium
ninety minutes
before game time
 
Our box seats
were eleven rows
behind first base
and the birthday boy
was permitted to
go down to field level
 
I was accompanied 
by an usher,
generously tipped
by my bartender/father
  
Yankee first baseman
waved to a boy
who shouted
MOOSE
 
That was his nickname
 
The boy was me
and despite "hating" his team
I found it impossible
to not enjoy
the chant of 
MOOOOOOSSSE
 
My father befriended 
a gentleman 
—another early arrival—
whose daughter
was my age
 
She was cuter than
a basket of chips
 
The gentleman noticed
the boy in the Mickey Mantle uniform
and asked my father
if his daughter
could have "my autograph"
on her baseball program
 !!!
 
She very carefully negotiated
the narrow staircase
leading to field level
 and I found it impossible
to not smile
at this cute little
basket of chips

Of course I autographed
her Yankee Stadium program
with a pencil provided by
the stadium usher
 
I signed it
right next to
the full page image 
of Mickey Mantle
 but I signed it
 
 
That is how Willie Mays
signed his name
and I had copied it
hundreds of times
on the inside covers
of countless school notebooks
 
However,
the cute little girl
was expecting 
Mickey Mantle's autograph
because of the uniform
 I was wearing
!!!

To say the little girl "cried"
when she saw
the Willie Mays autograph
was grievous understatement:
 
She shrieked loud enough
to be heard in center field
 
And then she ran towards
home plate
 
Of course,
her father followed
in hot pursuit
and we never saw them again
 
The good news is
I was not arrested for forgery
or terrorizing
a little girl
but the bad news is 
the Yankees won that game
 
No one else
asked for
a Mickey Mantle autograph
that day
but someone did 
rub my head
for good luck
and then treated 
my father and me
to bowls of spaghetti
from 
 ***
 
© OLIVERIO © 
________________________________________________________________________________________________
 

1 comment:

  1. It is safe to interpret your last words about Yogi Berra's Kitchen
    as your inability to "hate" the Yankee's catcher?

    ReplyDelete