It began as the GODFATHER OF MATH, evolved into the GOODFATHER OF MATH. Now this. Go figure...

______________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
The kind of humor I like is the thing that makes me laugh for five seconds and think for ten minutes = G. CARLIN...Stain glass, engraved glass, frosted glass
–give me plain glass = JOHN FOWLES ... Music is the mathematics of the gods=PYTHAGORAS ... Nothing is more fluid than language = R. L. SWIHART
I cannot live without the oxygen of laughter = DAWN POWELL ... !!! ... But laughter cannot survive without the hydrogen of gravitas = PAUL OLIVERIO
______________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Thursday, June 6, 2024

Wht I Lack In Hyperlink, I Overcompensate With GRATITUDE

________________________________________________________________________________________________

This page 
is about three authors

The easiest of the three to describe
is the only male author:

Samuel Dashiell Hammett
wrote 
The Maltese Falcon
and 
The Thin Man

Many people with
intelligence infinitely superior
to mine would describe him
thusly:
 
DASHIELL HAMMETT 
IS
THE GODFATHER
OF 
CRIME FICTION

And crime has only 
been with us
since humans
learned how to
breathe
---
 
Recently I responded to
a book I purchased
with at least ten words of
pure profanity and anger
because it was more than
500 pages
and I bought it
only because
it was recommended
by the third author
to be featured on this page

The Poisonwood Bible
is a novel by
BARBARA KINGSOLVER
 and its very short chapters 
are narrated by five different people:
the wife + four daughters
of a fire and brimstone preacher
who is hell-bent on
converting every resident 
of the Belgian Congo
to Christianity
 
To describe
The Poisonwood Bible
as a masterpiece
of fiction
makes me nervous
because
—with biblical justification—
I could be reduced to salt
for being guilty of
understatement
 
The third author is 
MARGARET ATWOOD
and the most accurate thing
I can say about her is
---
If there is one and only one 
woman
to justify my girlfriend's jealousy
about my interactions with 
her gender
 ---
That woman
would be
Margaret Atwood
---
 
Hag Seed
is a re-telling of
William Shakespeare's
The Tempest
set in a Canadian 
correctional facility

As for its "Masterpiece-osity"
please see my nervous comment
about salt
---
 
Now
the readers of this page
(who have yet to abandon it)
may ask 
"What the hell is Oliverio
going to talk about
the gratitude thingy?"
 
Here is where I do so
because both
KINGSOLVER + ATWOOD
were read after 
May 18, 2024
and in that 
three week period
I learned more
about the Bible
+
William Shakespeare
than I had learned
in the seventy-five years
prior to that time
 
As an allegedly
good Catholic boy
all I really knew
about the bible
is that
MATTHEW, MARK,
LUKE and JOHN
is the name of
the first advertising agency
 
Therefore
from the highest mountains
my imagination can climb
---
with as many decibels
as a supersonic jet
---
hear me holler
to this triumvirate:
 
THANK YOU
 
________________________________________________________________________________________________

3 comments:

  1. This page contains no hyperlinks because if that were not the case
    AT LEAST ten hyperlinks would appear here.

    Therefore Oliverio hopes the reader
    has his/her Goggle gun fully loaded

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My Uncle Tanoose, who lectures at UC Santa Barbra
      (and reads your blog on a daily basis) was shocked
      to find that you did not copyright this page.

      Delete
    2. There is no copyrighting here because I did not say anything
      that hasn't been said before...and probably because
      Dash Hammett is honored on this page,
      Thievery would notbe inappropriate

      -Oliverio

      Delete