It began as the GODFATHER OF MATH, evolved into the GOODFATHER OF MATH. Now this. Go figure...

______________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
The kind of humor I like is the thing that makes me laugh for five seconds and think for ten minutes = G. CARLIN...Stain glass, engraved glass, frosted glass
–give me plain glass = JOHN FOWLES ... Music is the mathematics of the gods=PYTHAGORAS ... Nothing is more fluid than language = R. L. SWIHART
I cannot live without the oxygen of laughter = DAWN POWELL ... !!! ... But laughter cannot survive without the hydrogen of gravitas = PAUL OLIVERIO
______________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Monday, March 9, 2015

Ten Quotes From Joan Didion

________________________________________________________________________________________________


Joan Didion
We tell ourselves stories in order to live.

To free us from the expectations of others,
to give us back to ourselves–
there lies the great, singular
power of self-respect.

Grammar is a piano I play by ear.

Innocence ends when one is stripped
of the delusion that one likes oneself.

A single person is missing for you,
and the whole world is empty

I don't know what I think
until I write it down.

Grief turns out to be a place none of us
know until we reach it.

Memory fades, memory adjusts, memory conforms to what we think we remember.

Water is important to people who do not have it, and the same is true of control.

My only advantage as a reporter is that I am so physically small,
so temperamentally unobtrustive, and so neurotically inarticulate
that people tend to forget that my presence runs counter
to their best interests. And it always does.
That is one last thing to remember:
writers are always selling somebody out.

The next Didion page is  here.
________________________________________________________________________________________________


No comments:

Post a Comment