It began as the GODFATHER OF MATH, evolved into the GOODFATHER OF MATH. Now this. Go figure...

______________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
The kind of humor I like is the thing that makes me laugh for five seconds and think for ten minutes = G. CARLIN...Stain glass, engraved glass, frosted glass
–give me plain glass = JOHN FOWLES ... Music is the mathematics of the gods=PYTHAGORAS ... Nothing is more fluid than language = R. L. SWIHART
I cannot live without the oxygen of laughter = DAWN POWELL ... !!! ... But laughter cannot survive without the hydrogen of gravitas = PAUL OLIVERIO
______________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Sunday, June 21, 2020

A Poem For The Pandemic By JERICHO BROWN

________________________________________________________________________________________________

SAY THANK YOU, SAY I'M SORRY

I don’t know whose side you’re on,
But I am here for the people
Who work in grocery stores 
That glow in the morning
And close down for deep cleaning 
At night.

Right up the street and in cities 
I mispronounce,
In towns too tiny for my big black
Car to quit, and in every wide corner
Of Kansas where going to school means
At least one field trip
To a slaughterhouse. 

I want so little: another leather bound
Book, a gimlet with a lavender gin, bread
So good when I taste it I can tell you
How it’s made. I’d like us to rethink
What it is to be a nation. 
I’m in a mood about America
Today. I have PTSD
About the Lord. 
God save the people who work
In grocery stores. 

They know a bit of glamour
Is a lot of glamour. 

They know how much
It costs for the eldest of us to eat. Save
My loves and not my sentences. 
Before I see them,
I draw a mole near my left dimple,
Add flair to the smile they can’t see
Behind my mask. I grin or lie or maybe
I wear the mouth of a beast. 
I eat wild animals
While some of us grow up knowing
What gnocchi is. 

The people who work at the grocery don’t care.

They say, Thank you. They say, Sorry,
We don’t sell motor oil anymore 
with a grief so thick
You could touch it. 
Go on. Touch it.

It is early. It is late. 
They have washed their hands.
They have washed their hands for you.
And they take the bus home.

________________________________________________________________________________________________

No comments:

Post a Comment