It began as the GODFATHER OF MATH, evolved into the GOODFATHER OF MATH. Now this. Go figure...

______________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
The kind of humor I like is the thing that makes me laugh for five seconds and think for ten minutes = G. CARLIN...Stain glass, engraved glass, frosted glass
–give me plain glass = JOHN FOWLES ... Music is the mathematics of the gods=PYTHAGORAS ... Nothing is more fluid than language = R. L. SWIHART
I cannot live without the oxygen of laughter = DAWN POWELL ... !!! ... But laughter cannot survive without the hydrogen of gravitas = PAUL OLIVERIO
______________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Wednesday, February 1, 2023

Last Night, On The Eve Of Black History Month ...

________________________________________________________________________________________________

I fell asleep
listening to 
a Bill Withers' song
and
 had a dream
about my paternal
grandparents
 
Just the three of us
 
They spoke with the vocabulary
of college professors
but I sounded like
a kindergarten kid
 
Present us with a hypothetical
said my grandfather
 
Related to the upbringing
of eight children
added my grandmother
 
In real life,
they had eight "children"
 
Seven of which
became my aunts and uncles
plus the eldest
of four boys
who was my father 
 
"Otay, here is da hypotetical"
said the kindergarten me:
 
"Wha if one of da eight
had a fuzzy brain
and eveybody
laff at him"
 
Both grandparents laughed
and asked me to continue
 
"Wood you ha' traded him in
for tree milly dollaz?"
 
They looked at each other
then looked at me
and answered in two voices:
 
Yes
said my grandmother
 
Without hesitation
added my grandfather
 
My grandmother concluded:
This issue has been discussed
repeatedly in the great beyond
with octet-generating
parents and unanimously
they respond
exactly as we did,
all of them 
licking their lips,
saying 
"$3 million dollars
would be like
manna from heaven" 
 
Then I awoke,
feeling very fuzzy
but loving my
grandparents
more than
I could imagine
***
 
© PAUL OLIVERIO ©
________________________________________________________________________________________________

4 comments:

  1. Were your paternal grandparents college professors?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. AKAme says:
      No, they were both young Italian immigrants,
      minimally schooled in Italy without any schooling
      in the United States

      Delete
  2. What, if any, was the meaning of this dream?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. AKAme says:
      It is related to the rant of a homeless person
      who claimed that every investment broker
      in Minnesota camped out at the home
      of George Floyd's family

      Delete