It began as the GODFATHER OF MATH, evolved into the GOODFATHER OF MATH. Now this. Go figure...

______________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
The kind of humor I like is the thing that makes me laugh for five seconds and think for ten minutes = G. CARLIN...Stain glass, engraved glass, frosted glass
–give me plain glass = JOHN FOWLES ... Music is the mathematics of the gods=PYTHAGORAS ... Nothing is more fluid than language = R. L. SWIHART
I cannot live without the oxygen of laughter = DAWN POWELL ... !!! ... But laughter cannot survive without the hydrogen of gravitas = PAUL OLIVERIO
______________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Friday, November 2, 2018

It Behooves Me To Honor The GodFather Of My First Pet

________________________________________________________________________________________________

All I remember
of my first pet
was his name

Stretch was an alley cat
named in honor of
who died two days ago

But
I distinctly remember
McCovey's major league debut
in what would be 
a Hall of Fame career

 

The date was  July 30, 1959

I was a ten year-old
New York kid
whose first super-hero,
Willie Mays, and his team
—the New York Giants—
had moved to San Francisco
the year before

I listened to that 
mid-summer baseball game
on a portable radio
with my bedroom door closed

The Giants were playing
in San Francisco
but the game was broadcast
from a New York studio
by  Les Keiter
 
A guy named Willie
 was batting third
for the Giants.

His last name
started with M
but it was not
Willie Mays!
It was his major league debut
and he hit two triples:
maybe one out of a gazillion
rookies do that 
in their first game
   
maybe one out of a half-gazillion
rookies do that 
in their first game
 
Most appropriately,
for his entire 
lengthy and legendary career
as a major league ballplayer,
"Stretch" McCovey
wore #44

Willie "Stretch" McCovey
born: January 10, 1938
died: October 31, 2018
R.I.P.
________________________________________________________________________________________________


No comments:

Post a Comment