It began as the GODFATHER OF MATH, evolved into the GOODFATHER OF MATH. Now this. Go figure...

______________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
The kind of humor I like is the thing that makes me laugh for five seconds and think for ten minutes = G. CARLIN...Stain glass, engraved glass, frosted glass
–give me plain glass = JOHN FOWLES ... Music is the mathematics of the gods=PYTHAGORAS ... Nothing is more fluid than language = R. L. SWIHART
I cannot live without the oxygen of laughter = DAWN POWELL ... !!! ... But laughter cannot survive without the hydrogen of gravitas = PAUL OLIVERIO
______________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Wednesday, March 1, 2023

Belated BLACK HISTORY MONTH Honoree: Mr. Moore

________________________________________________________________________________________________

Mr. Moore
—I never knew his first name—
was a security guard
at Jefferson High School

In my early days
as a "Donut Hustler"
on that campus,
I needed early morning access
to classrooms
and thrice I asked 
Mr. Moore if he would
admit me to those rooms
 
Thrice he said NO
 
But when it was established
that donuts were sold
to raise money for concerts
on the same stage
that had been graced by
Billie Holiday and Nat King Cole
et al
Mr. Moore 
became my gatekeeper
and friend
 
For the last ten years
of my professional employment
in Los Angeles,
We did a lot of high-fiving
but I distinctly remember
a very firm handshake
with Mr. Moore
shortly before my retirement
in 2004
 
All I will add to the above
is that 
every friggin' word
***
 
© PAUL OLIVERIO ©
________________________________________________________________________________________________

2 comments:

  1. I clicked on the hyperlink and it sounds like
    you should have done a Black History Month page
    for Samuel Rodney Browne.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Paul Oliverio says:

      Thank you for the suggestion but there are AT LEAST
      four GodFather of Math Trilogy tribute pages
      for Dr. Browne, whose influence on me
      cannot be measured

      Delete