It began as the GODFATHER OF MATH, evolved into the GOODFATHER OF MATH. Now this. Go figure...

______________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
The kind of humor I like is the thing that makes me laugh for five seconds and think for ten minutes = G. CARLIN...Stain glass, engraved glass, frosted glass
–give me plain glass = JOHN FOWLES ... Music is the mathematics of the gods=PYTHAGORAS ... Nothing is more fluid than language = R. L. SWIHART
I cannot live without the oxygen of laughter = DAWN POWELL ... !!! ... But laughter cannot survive without the hydrogen of gravitas = PAUL OLIVERIO
______________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Tuesday, March 26, 2024

Dialog Between Concerned Neighbor And ... Priest

________________________________________________________________________________________________

Father,
my next-door neighbor
is always screaming
at her children, her husband,
or at her television.
Yet, she claims to be
a devout Catholic.
How is that possible?

A devout Catholic 
is not defined
by personal behavior.
 
How is that possible?
 
The more irregular
a parishioner's behavior is
most often means
the more money that person
 puts in the collection plate.
 
Correct me if I'm wrong
but it sounds like 
you are defining
 devotion to your religion
by the amount of money
given to your church.
 
That is correct.
Without money,
a Catholic church
—or any other church— 
cannot breath.
A Catholic priest
would be indigent
and pained to preach.


Thank you, Father
for that explanation
but you have given me
more reason to be proud
of my atheism.

That's nothing to be
ashamed of but 
virtually all pastors
of all religions agree
that Atheism
is lacking in imagination.

I imagine that to be true
but my imagination
has many alternate routes.
 ***

© OLIVERIO ©
_______________________________________________________________________________________________

2 comments:

  1. Bless me Father for SHE has sinned.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. But she paid the price in the collection plate

      -Oliverio

      Delete