It began as the GODFATHER OF MATH, evolved into the GOODFATHER OF MATH. Now this. Go figure...

______________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
The kind of humor I like is the thing that makes me laugh for five seconds and think for ten minutes = G. CARLIN...Stain glass, engraved glass, frosted glass
–give me plain glass = JOHN FOWLES ... Music is the mathematics of the gods=PYTHAGORAS ... Nothing is more fluid than language = R. L. SWIHART
I cannot live without the oxygen of laughter = DAWN POWELL ... !!! ... But laughter cannot survive without the hydrogen of gravitas = PAUL OLIVERIO
______________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Monday, March 16, 2020

Forty-Nine Years Ago Today

________________________________________________________________________________________________

My Mother had the decency
to space her birth month
and death month:
What had they
just been
doing
???

She was born in February
and died in October

One out of two ain't bad
***
***
*** 

Forty-nine years and 
four days  ago
I called my Father
to belatedly wish him
HAPPY BIRTHDAY


He couldn't really talk
and sort of hung up on me.  
He was in pain from
the triple coronary bypass
he had had three years earlier

I had called between classes
at Stonybrook and dialed
the only phone number
we ever had: IN1-1553
plus area code, of course

Exactly, forty-nine years ago today,
it was March 16, 1971

I dialed the same number
only to be told
by an automated voice
that it had been changed to
767-9793

When my sister answered the phone
after re-dialing, I assumed 
a game-show host voice

Congratulations on 
your new phone number:
YOU have just won a new car

All Linda said was
"Daddy died an hour ago"

My mother died before
the end of that year

Three years later,
Linda joined their ranks.

Therefore, it is impossible
in 2020 for me to regard Death,
as in the Corona Virus Pandemic,
the same way most people do

I apologize to anyone
who thinks my attitude
about the Virus
is too frivolous
or too dismissive
________________________________________________________________________________________________

No comments:

Post a Comment