It began as the GODFATHER OF MATH, evolved into the GOODFATHER OF MATH. Now this. Go figure...

______________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
The kind of humor I like is the thing that makes me laugh for five seconds and think for ten minutes = G. CARLIN...Stain glass, engraved glass, frosted glass
–give me plain glass = JOHN FOWLES ... Music is the mathematics of the gods=PYTHAGORAS ... Nothing is more fluid than language = R. L. SWIHART
I cannot live without the oxygen of laughter = DAWN POWELL ... !!! ... But laughter cannot survive without the hydrogen of gravitas = PAUL OLIVERIO
______________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Friday, October 20, 2023

I Have A Bold Confession To Make ... Or Repeat

________________________________________________________________________________________________

A student of mine
at Jefferson High School
never attended class
for the last six weeks of a semester
 
BUT
he ended up 
with a B
as his final grade

It happened because 
I accidentally
discovered the boy
in the print shop
when he was supposed to be
in his Algebra class

The teacher there
was a personal friend
who told me
that "Mario" was obsessed
with creating 
computer graphics

The year was 2004
which proved to be
my retirement year
 
I talked to "Mario"
without chastisement
but offered him 
an alternative
to returning to
his math class
but appealing to 
computer graphics
 
What he created
with approximate dimensions
of 24" x 36"
was  
 
When I moved to Virginia
(where my sister lived)
the poster
was taped to the inside
of my patio door
telling all my neighbors
that a strange fish
became their newest neighbor
 
The mathematical significance
of the Pascal's Triangle
is beyond measure
 
Pascal's Triangle
are beyond measure
and include
 
In one of my Algebra classes
that last year,
students found patterns
which I had not been aware of
***
 
"MARIO"

________________________________________________________________________________________________

2 comments:

  1. Where is MARIO today?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I sincerely wish I knew but if Mario remained faithful to
      The Jefferson High School print shop
      and its extraordinary teacher, CLARENCE WILLIAMS,
      I will guarantee that Mario has become
      a successful designer

      -Oliverio

      Delete