It began as the GODFATHER OF MATH, evolved into the GOODFATHER OF MATH. Now this. Go figure...

______________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
The kind of humor I like is the thing that makes me laugh for five seconds and think for ten minutes = G. CARLIN...Stain glass, engraved glass, frosted glass
–give me plain glass = JOHN FOWLES ... Music is the mathematics of the gods=PYTHAGORAS ... Nothing is more fluid than language = R. L. SWIHART
I cannot live without the oxygen of laughter = DAWN POWELL ... !!! ... But laughter cannot survive without the hydrogen of gravitas = PAUL OLIVERIO
______________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Tuesday, September 15, 2026

How I Lost A Valuable "Friend"

______________________________________________________________________________________________
 
 
He
 is 
a Long Beach resident 
who taught Math
at the same school
as me
 
He
helped me become
a proud
Starbucks 
junkie
[and a constant reader] 
 
We 
jogged/walked
at least
500 miles
 
 
Discussing 
almost as many
books/authors
 
He 
retired 
fifteen years
after I did 
_____________
________
 
 
We will call 
this "friend" 
X
and the student
who told the story
was 
Y
________
_____
 
X
was 
teaching something
about
but 
found it impossible
to make the students 
understand it 
 
Y
was a former student 
of Oliverio
whose friend
Z
was in that class 
 
 
Z 
suggested a 
"shortcut"
learned 
from Oliverio
 
The entire class 
applauded
louldly
________
_____ 
 
X
has managed
to avoid 
Oliverio
ever since
  
______________________________________________________________________________________________
 

1 comment:

  1. In the title, Friends appears in quotes
    because one of the novelists we discussed frequently
    was Robert Penn Warren.

    He once wrote something to the effect that
    Your first friends are the most important friends:

    Between BK, Peter Galasso, Jack McCarthy,
    and Dr. Raft, I have collectively known the four of them
    for more than 200 years and the day does not exist
    where I contact less than two of them.

    But my psychoanalyst is the only one
    who bills me monthly

    X is someone I never really knew
    but all the exercise was great

    -Oliverio

    ReplyDelete