It began as the GODFATHER OF MATH, evolved into the GOODFATHER OF MATH. Now this. Go figure...

______________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
The kind of humor I like is the thing that makes me laugh for five seconds and think for ten minutes = G. CARLIN...Stain glass, engraved glass, frosted glass
–give me plain glass = JOHN FOWLES ... Music is the mathematics of the gods=PYTHAGORAS ... Nothing is more fluid than language = R. L. SWIHART
I cannot live without the oxygen of laughter = DAWN POWELL ... !!! ... But laughter cannot survive without the hydrogen of gravitas = PAUL OLIVERIO
______________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Sunday, September 20, 2026

Third Read Is The Charm

________________________________________________________________________________________________
 
 

 The first read of
is
the only one 
to be graded:
 
It was assigned
at the end of
sophomore year
at
but
that conflicted with
three most disturbing words:
 
REQUIRED SUMMER READING
and
—of course—
I did not read it
 
Instead 
I read
—cover-to-cover—
and 
my sister Lynda
read 
select Cliff Notes
to me
while I was on
and
my eyes were closed
 
My grade was
  B+
_______________
_________
 
The second read 
was fifteen years ago
and a page of
30 select quotes
is
still on file
somewhere
in my office
 
How much 
of
the book
did I actually remember?
 
Virtually nil
because
 
© 
If forgetting
was an art,
I'd be Van Gogh
then forget
where my ear was
and cut off
my toe
©  
_______________
_________
 
The third read
was last month:
I read it 
very slowly
and 
carefully:
 
By far,
it was the most
satisfying read
 
________________________________________________________________________________________________
 

No comments:

Post a Comment