It began as the GODFATHER OF MATH, evolved into the GOODFATHER OF MATH. Now this. Go figure...

______________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
The kind of humor I like is the thing that makes me laugh for five seconds and think for ten minutes = G. CARLIN...Stain glass, engraved glass, frosted glass
–give me plain glass = JOHN FOWLES ... Music is the mathematics of the gods=PYTHAGORAS ... Nothing is more fluid than language = R. L. SWIHART
I cannot live without the oxygen of laughter = DAWN POWELL ... !!! ... But laughter cannot survive without the hydrogen of gravitas = PAUL OLIVERIO
______________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Saturday, August 28, 2021

© Autobiography Of No One In Particular © ... Another Chapter

________________________________________________________________________________________________


Chapter 19
 
If  
were not performing
in Long Beach
on August 29, 2021,
this page would not exist
 
I was offered a gift ticket
but I could not have
fully enjoyed the show
without the presence
of my better half 

So I beseech Pat Sayjack 
and Banana White
to spin the wheel of Time
and land on the date
of March 18, 1966



with two of my relatives
who lived outside of
 
Sometime during the week
leading up to
that concert,
my Mother found
a small manila envelope
which contained
what her son referred to
as "flavored foliage"
 
When she uttered
the immortal words
I am glad it was
grass and not pot,
everyone else in
our house laughed,
including my
9-year-old sister
 
My mother sought advice
from her sister
who told her
it was possible for Paul
to have fun
without being with 
his "hippy" friends
 
I don't know if 
my Aunt Jean
paid for the tickets
or my parents did
 
But the result was
seeing the Beach Boys
and their opening act
—the Lovin' Spoonful—
at Fordham University
in the Bronx
where my cousin Robert
was a student
 
I was there with
Aunt Jean
and my cousin Lorraine,
who would become
the most important girl 
for the first third
of my life
 
The grand mass
of marvelous memories
of that concert
cannot be measured,
despite the absence
of Brian Wilson
 
I bought a concert t-shirt
for Robert,
who chauffeured us
to and from the concert
 
On the ride home,
I asked Aunt Jean
if she was now 
a Beach Boys fan:
I will be
if you prefer me
that way
 
But that  Zal Yanofsky fella'
sure needed a haircut
 
He was the lead guitarist
of the  Lovin' Spoonful 
and the big shadow
of his thick shoulder-length
locks on the white wall
behind the stage
is as tangible to me
today as it was
fifty years ago
 
Three months
after the concert,
The Oliverio family
was in Rocky Point,
our summer home
 
We were eating a traditional
Sunday morning
home-made Waffle breakfast
started playing
on Paul Oliverio's
transistor radio
 
I turned up the volume
full-blast and had the audacity
to sing along
while Lynda and Judi
[as if on cue]
started dancing like go-go girls
 
Sam and Grace
just sat there eating waffles
but they did hold hands
until the song ended
 
 I wish they all could be
California Girls
Oliverios  
 *** 

The next chapter
is  here
 
The first chapters
of this autobiography
are  there 
________________________________________________________________________________________________

No comments:

Post a Comment