It began as the GODFATHER OF MATH, evolved into the GOODFATHER OF MATH. Now this. Go figure...

______________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
The kind of humor I like is the thing that makes me laugh for five seconds and think for ten minutes = G. CARLIN...Stain glass, engraved glass, frosted glass
–give me plain glass = JOHN FOWLES ... Music is the mathematics of the gods=PYTHAGORAS ... Nothing is more fluid than language = R. L. SWIHART
I cannot live without the oxygen of laughter = DAWN POWELL ... !!! ... But laughter cannot survive without the hydrogen of gravitas = PAUL OLIVERIO
______________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Saturday, June 25, 2022

HERZOG ... Page 2 of 2

________________________________________________________________________________________________

Trepverter
is a Yiddish word
that means
 the perfect response
to what someone says
after you have departed
from that conversation
****

I first read Saul Bellow
more than fifty years ago

On the first page of Herzog,
he defines Trepverter

At that time,
I was a great reader
of first pages or first chapters,
unless the author was
Salinger or Sartre or Vonnegut

Second pages or second chapters
were usually eclipsed by
a pretty face
or 
baseball statistics
or 
NBA / NFL stories
before falling into 
the pit of neglect
 
This was true
for at least fifty books
***

More than fifty years ago,
I read Updike's 
Rabbit Redux
but
—of course—
only the first chapter

Two months ago,
I learned that
what Updike I had read
was NOT Rabbit Redux

It was
Rabbit Run
***
________________________________________________________________________________________________

2 comments:

  1. I am surprised you did not copyright this page.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm not.
      Occasionally, I have
      a friendly attitude about
      being plagiarized.

      It fills me with
      a wonderful sense
      of flattery

      Delete