It began as the GODFATHER OF MATH, evolved into the GOODFATHER OF MATH. Now this. Go figure...

______________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
The kind of humor I like is the thing that makes me laugh for five seconds and think for ten minutes = G. CARLIN...Stain glass, engraved glass, frosted glass
–give me plain glass = JOHN FOWLES ... Music is the mathematics of the gods=PYTHAGORAS ... Nothing is more fluid than language = R. L. SWIHART
I cannot live without the oxygen of laughter = DAWN POWELL ... !!! ... But laughter cannot survive without the hydrogen of gravitas = PAUL OLIVERIO
______________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Thursday, January 26, 2023

Officially Ending That Hiatus

________________________________________________________________________________________________

This is what  Jack McCarthy  looked like in 1971
when he might as well have been singing
1000 bottles of beer on the wall
In only 10 days, I will drink them all
 
But before the end 
of that decade,
he met the woman
he is still married to
and they have been 
clean and sober
ever since
 
The occasion
was a Christmas celebration
for a large Irish family
+ two Italian boys
whose initials
are PO
and PG
 
The latter's
guitar is 
visible
 
It is a 1959 Epiphone
and I am presently
helping him
sell it
 
One of Jack's four sisters
was toying with an umbrella
but wasn't sober enough
to explain why
 
I don't know where
I was seated at the table
but I paid little attention
to the music
because chattering
filmed the room
 
Mostly, the person I spoke with
was a man of the cloth: Brother Edward
who taught math at Manhattan College
 
Mostly we talked about
the beatitudes of Geometry
 
When Jack sent me this picture [last week]
he referred to the professor as "my Uncle Eddie"
 
Excluding Jack's seven-year-old sister,
Brother Edward had consumed the least
amount of alcohol at the party
 
But in 1971,
on Christmas Day,
I was too drunk and stoned
to trust that assessment

A splendid time 
was had by all
***
 
Fast Forward to the present:
 
Within the past four weeks,
I have had at least
ten hours conversation
with McCarthy and PG
 
Their music is better than ever

*** 

Thank you for reading this

________________________________________________________________________________________________

2 comments:

  1. This is Mrs. CarPeo, commonly referred to as
    "Mr. CarPeo's better half."
    I met Jack McCarthy in 2015 and he was
    much more handsome than he was in 1971.

    PS
    The CarPeos are no strangers to "Love's in Quarantine."

    ReplyDelete
  2. AKAme" says:
    I must confess to a few pounds of jealousy
    whenever Mrs. CarPeo refers to another man
    as "Handsome"

    ReplyDelete