It began as the GODFATHER OF MATH, evolved into the GOODFATHER OF MATH. Now this. Go figure...

______________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
The kind of humor I like is the thing that makes me laugh for five seconds and think for ten minutes = G. CARLIN...Stain glass, engraved glass, frosted glass
–give me plain glass = JOHN FOWLES ... Music is the mathematics of the gods=PYTHAGORAS ... Nothing is more fluid than language = R. L. SWIHART
I cannot live without the oxygen of laughter = DAWN POWELL ... !!! ... But laughter cannot survive without the hydrogen of gravitas = PAUL OLIVERIO
______________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Tuesday, September 6, 2022

Six Degrees Of Separation Between Kafka And My Father

________________________________________________________________________________________________


1:Designed by Gilda Kuhlman
 
2. Gilda spends at least five hours a week
on the phone with fellow book designer,
Mrs. Carpeo
 
3. Occasionally, Paul is rude enough
to demand the phone
especially since 
he has become addicted to
 
4. Invariably, discussion 
about Spelling Bee
alludes to Scrabble 
which my father 
introduced  me to 
when I was 
eleven years old.
 
So I told Gilda
the following story:
 
5. After his son played 
a high-scoring word,
my father would intensely look
across the board and call 
his bespectacled offspring
a "genius." 
In truth,  he was reading 
my rack of letters
off the reflection 
of my glasses.
 
He always won the game
even after I caught on
to the chicanery
of my eighth-grade
drop-out Daddy
 
6. Gilda said
—and I am quoting verbatim—
That's the funniest story
I ever heard.
 
Within seconds,
I  handed the phone
back to Mrs. CarPeo
©©©  
________________________________________________________________________________________________

6 comments:

  1. How true is this story?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. 99.99% true
      I did not always let my Father win
      and, despite implications, I did not tell
      Gilda my Father was an eighth grade drop-out

      Delete
  2. Why didn't you provide a hyperlink
    for the other book designer, Mrs. CarPeo?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If I did so, my better half
      would not have allowed for this page
      to be published

      Delete
  3. My name is Melanie and I found this page because I am an ardent follower
    of the concept/game, "Six Degrees of Separation."
    I am surprised you didn't provide a link to it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello, Melanie
      There is no such hyperlink here because Mrs. CarPeo
      (also known as my smarter half) has proven
      that "Three Degrees of Separation"
      is more often the case and
      could have been used here
      but doing so would have
      involved too much ego
      or cheap humor

      Delete