It began as the GODFATHER OF MATH, evolved into the GOODFATHER OF MATH. Now this. Go figure...

______________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
The kind of humor I like is the thing that makes me laugh for five seconds and think for ten minutes = G. CARLIN...Stain glass, engraved glass, frosted glass
–give me plain glass = JOHN FOWLES ... Music is the mathematics of the gods=PYTHAGORAS ... Nothing is more fluid than language = R. L. SWIHART
I cannot live without the oxygen of laughter = DAWN POWELL ... !!! ... But laughter cannot survive without the hydrogen of gravitas = PAUL OLIVERIO
______________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Wednesday, November 1, 2023

Prelude To Iacangelo Obituary #3 ... About Joseph Curran

________________________________________________________________________________________________

The semester after graduating 
high school in 1967,
I lived in a boarding house
within walking distance of
Suffolk County Community College

I lived there for eight months
before moving into 
our Rocky Point "summer home"
which had finally been
winterized
 
Joe Curran
had longer hair 
than any male
I had ever known
 
We became "reefer mates,"
occasionally consuming 
what was then
known as an illegal substance
 
We made many jokes
about being white stoned
because of my family's
winter home
in Whitestone
 
In February, 1968
I told my parents
I wanted to bring 
a friend home
for a visit
 
My sisters welcomed 
the idea
but my parents
immediately arranged
to go skiing
in upstate New York
so as to avoid
whatever might have
happened
during that visit
 
But my AUNT BETTY
loved the idea
of substitute "parenting"
for a weekend
 
UNCLE PRESTON
equally welcomed
having their Bronx apartment
to himself
but was required
to sign a contract
obligating him
to feed their parakeet
 
With a sparkle
in her eye, 
the very first words 
Aunt Betty said
to Joe Curran
were these:
 
My parakeet's name
is Josefina
***
 
About the incorporated village
adjacent to Whitestone,
it has been said that 
has a ghetto:
 
It's known as
the rest of Queens
 
So that is where we parked
my car on the one night
in 1968
when Joe Curran
slept in Whitestone
 
We parked my car
in Malba
somewhere along the East River—
to smoke a joint
and for reasons
I cannot remember,
in the driver's seat
 
Two of my local buddies
were in the backseat
 
Sure enough,
a NYPD patrol car
shined a light
on my 1968 Volkswagon
but it served to magnify
the length of Joe's hair
  
 The police must have assumed
that my car contained
a couple smooching
in "Lover's Lane"
and they just drove away
!!!

Such was not the case
in 1968
but Joe Curran's hair
prevented what would have been
a police arrest,
 guaranteeing my parents
would never again
leave Whitestone
when I brought home
an overnight guest
©©©
 
#4 is  here 
________________________________________________________________________________________________

No comments:

Post a Comment